Last Modified: November 14, 2016
Bee is a fast and fun way to make money and change the world. Take photos of your favorite life moments. Endorse the products that make your life better, and give them the exposure they deserve. Get paid per like, and have your photos shown to new audiences across the world!
When you use these services—and any others we at Bee Technologies Inc. roll out, whether in the Bee app or elsewhere—you'll share some information with us. We get that that can affect your privacy. So we want to be upfront about the information we collect, how we use it, whom we share it with, and the choices we give you to control, access, and update your information.
To make this document easier to read, we sometimes use Bee instead of Bee Technologies Inc. and refer to our products and services as the "Service" or the "Services". You the user are referred to as "Creator" or "Creators", because you are artists and should be treated as such!
One final point before we dive in: We're happy to report that we participate in the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield, which you can read more about here.
Information We Collect
There are three basic categories of information we collect:
- Information you choose to give us.
- Information we get when you use our services.
- Information we get from third parties.
Here's a little more detail on each of these categories.
Information You Choose to Give Us
When you interact with our services, we collect the information that you choose to share with us. For example, most of our services require you to set up a basic Bee account, so we need to collect a few important details about you, such as: a unique username you'd like to go by, a password, an email address, a phone number, and your date of birth. To make it easier for others to find you, we may also ask you to provide us with some additional information that will be publicly visible on our services, such as profile pictures, a name, or other useful identifying information. Other services, such as commerce products or paid endorsement, may also require you to provide us with a debit/credit card number or related bank account/routing number and any associated account information.
Of course, you'll also provide us whatever information you send through the services, such as Buzzes (posts through the service)and Chats with other Creators . Keep in mind that content posted on Bee or any content created for a campaign can always be saved or copied outside the app. So, the same common sense that applies to the Internet at large applies to Bee as well: Don't send messages or share content that you wouldn't want someone to save or share.
It probably goes without saying, but we'll say it anyway: When you contact Bee Support or communicate with us in any other way, we'll collect whatever information you volunteer.
Information We Get When You Use Our Services
When you use our services, we collect information about which of those services you've used and how you've used them. We might know, for instance, that you looked at a specific campaign, saw a specific post for a certain period of time, and sent a few messages to friends. Here's a fuller explanation of the types of information we collect when you use our services:
- Usage Information. We collect information about your activity through our services. For example, we may collect information about:
- how you interact with the services, such as which photos you use, which campaigns you view, or which search queries you submit.
- how you communicate with other Creators, such as their names, the time and date of your communications, the number of messages you exchange with your friends, which friends you exchange messages with the most, and your interactions with messages (such as when you open a message or capture a screenshot).
- Content Information. We collect information about the content you provide, such as the number of people who have viewed the content and the metadata that is provided with the content, and any other data related to your campaigns/posts.
- Device Information. We collect device-specific information, such as the hardware model, operating system version, advertising identifier, unique application identifiers, unique device identifiers, browser type, language, wireless network, and mobile network information (including the mobile phone number).
- Device Phonebook. Because Bee is all about endorsement by the masses, we may—with your consent—collect information from your device's phonebook, a third party social media site, or through a search of names and usernames on Instagram.
- Camera and Photos. Many of our services require us to collect images and other information from your device's camera and photos. For example, you won't be able to post through Bee or upload photos from your camera roll unless we can access your camera or photos.
- If you choose to invite someone to the Service through our "Invite friends" feature, you may select a person directly from the contacts list on your device and send a text or email from your personal account. You understand and agree that you are responsible for any charges that apply to communications sent from your device, and because this invitation is coming directly from your personal account, Bee does not have access to or control this communication.
- Location Information. When you use our services we may collect information about your location. With your consent, we may also collect information about your precise location using methods that include GPS, wireless networks, cell towers, Wi-Fi access points, and other sensors, such as gyroscopes, accelerometers, and compasses.
- We also may use device identifiers to determine what device you are using to access our service. This is instrumental in helping us make the app as amazing as possible across devices. We want to make sure you enjoy using Bee whether it be on iPad, iPhone, or Android. In order to do so, we may access, collect, monitor, store on your device, and/or remotely store one or more "device identifiers." Device identifiers are small data files or similar data structures stored on or associated with your mobile device, which uniquely identify your mobile device. A device identifier may be data stored in connection with the device hardware, data stored in connection with the device's operating system or other software, or data sent to the device by Instagram.
- A device identifier may deliver information to us or to a third party partner about how you browse and use the Service and may help us or others provide reports or personalized content and ads. Some features of the Service may not function properly if use or availability of device identifiers is impaired or disabled.
- Log Information. We also collect log information when you use our app and website. That information includes, among other things:
- details about how you've used our services.
- device information, such as your web browser type and language.
- access times.
- pages viewed.
- IP address.
- identifiers associated with cookies or other technologies that may uniquely identify your device or browser.
- pages you visited before or after navigating to our website.
- We also collect Metadata. This is a data collecting bad word that can describe anything from a hashtag to file size. To be clear, this is what we consider metadata, and what we collect. If you think it is unfair, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org! For us, metadata describes how, when, and by whom a piece of Creator Content was collected and how that content is formatted. Creators can add or may have Metadata added to their Creator Content including a hashtag (e.g., to mark keywords when you post a photo), geotag (e.g., to mark your location to a photo), comments or other data. This makes your Creator Content more searchable by others and more interactive. If you geotag your photo or tag your photo using other's APIs then, your latitude and longitude will be stored with the photo and searchable (e.g., through a location or map feature) if your photo is made public by you in accordance with your privacy settings.
Information We Collect from Third Parties
We may collect information that other Creators provide about you when they use our services. For example, if another Creator allows us to collect information from their device phonebook—and you're one of that Creator's contacts—we may combine the information we collect from that Creator's phonebook with other information we have collected about you. We may also obtain information from other companies that are owned or operated by us, or any other third-party sources, and combine that with the information we collect through our services.
How We Use Information
- help you efficiently access your information after you sign in
- remember information so you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit the Service;
- provide personalized content and information to you and others, which could include specific campaigns, brands, or products
- develop, operate, improve, deliver, maintain, and protect our products and services.
- develop and test new products and features
- monitor metrics such as total number of visitors, traffic, and demographic patterns
- diagnose or fix technology problems
- automatically update the Bee application on your device. Bee or other Creators may run contests, special offers or other events or activities ("Events") on the Service. If you do not want to participate in an Event, do not use the particular Metadata (i.e. hashtag or geotag) associated with that Event.
- communicate with you.
- monitor and analyze trends and usage.
- improve campaign targeting and measurement, including through the use of your precise location data (again, if you've consented to us collecting that data).
- enhance the safety and security of our products and services.
- verify your identity and prevent fraud or other unauthorized or illegal activity.
- use information we've collected from cookies and other technology to enhance the services and your experience with them.
- enforce our Terms of Service and other usage policies.
We may also store some information locally on your device. For example, we may store information as local cache so that you can open the app and view content faster.
How We Share Information
We may share information about you in the following ways:
- With other Creators. We may share the following information with other Creators:
- information about you, such as your username and name.
- information about how you have interacted with the services, such as your Honeypot "score," the names of Creators you are friends with, and other information that will help Creators understand your connections with others using the services.
- any additional information you have consented for us to share. For example, when you let us access your device phonebook, we may share information about you with other Creators who have your phone number in their device phonebook.
- content you post or send will be shared with other Creators; how widely your content is shared depends on what campaign you post for, the social media platform you ultimately post to, and a bunch of other factors. For example, a Buzz (post) may be posted on a small local business' campaign and gain less views than a Nike campaign. Furthermore, a company may adopt your content, and post it on their respective social media accounts. This can create massive increases in exposure.
- With all Creators and the general public. We may share the following information with all Creators as well as the general public:
- public information like your Bee username and profile pictures.
- any content that you submit to a campaign or to the Service at large.
- With our affiliates. We may share information with entities within the Bee Technologies Inc. family of companies.
- With third parties. We may share your information with the following third parties:
- With service providers, sellers, and partners. We may share information about you with service providers who perform services on our behalf, sellers that provide goods through our services, and business partners that post campaigns or provide services and functionality.
- With third parties for legal reasons. We may share information about you if we reasonably believe that disclosing the information is needed to:
- ■■comply with any valid legal process, governmental request, or applicable law, rule, or regulation.
- ■■investigate, remedy, or enforce potential Terms of Service violations.
- ■■protect the rights, property, and safety of us, our Creators , or others.
- ■■detect and resolve any fraud or security concerns.
- With third parties as part of a merger or acquisition. If Bee Technologies Inc. gets involved in a merger, asset sale, financing, liquidation or bankruptcy, or acquisition of all or some portion of our business to another company, we may share your information with that company before and after the transaction closes.
- In the aggregate or after de-identification. We may also share with third parties, such as advertisers, aggregated or de-identified information that cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
Information You Choose to Share with Third Parties
The services may also contain third-party links and search results, include third-party integrations, or offer a co-branded or third-party-branded service. By going to those links, using the third-party integration, or using a co-branded or third-party-branded service, you may be providing information (including personal information) directly to the third party, us, or both. You acknowledge and agree that we are not responsible for how those third parties collect or use your information. As always, we encourage you to review the privacy policies of every third-party website or service that you visit or use, including those third parties you interact with through our services.
How Long We Keep Your Content
This is a question of how long we store and process your information:
- Your information collected through the Service may be stored and processed in the United States or any other country in which Bee Technologies Inc., its Affiliates or Service Providers maintain facilities.
- Bee Technologies Inc., its Affiliates, or Service Providers may transfer information that we collect about you, including personal information across borders and from your country or jurisdiction to other countries or jurisdictions around the world. If you are located in the European Union or other regions with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from U.S. law, please note that we may transfer information, including personal information, to a country and jurisdiction that does not have the same data protection laws as your jurisdiction.
- We use commercially reasonable safeguards to help keep the information collected through the Service secure and take reasonable steps (such as requesting a unique password) to verify your identity before granting you access to your account. However, Bee cannot ensure the security of any information you transmit to Bee Technologies Inc. or guarantee that information on the Service may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed.
- Please do your part to help us. You are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your unique password and account information, and for controlling access to emails between you and Bee Technologies Inc., at all times. Your privacy settings may also be affected by changes the social media services you connect to Bee make to their services. We are not responsible for the functionality, privacy, or security measures of any other organization.
Control over Your Information
We want you to be in control of your information, so we provide you with the following tools.
- Access and Updates. We strive to let you access and update most of the personal information that we have about you. There are limits though to the requests we'll accommodate. We may reject a request for a number of reasons, including, for example, that the request risks the privacy of other Creators, requires technical efforts that are disproportionate to the request, is repetitive, or is unlawful. You can access and update most of your basic account information right in the app by visiting the app's Settings page. If you need to access, update, or delete other personal information that we may have, you can put in a request at email@example.com. Because your privacy is important to us, we may ask you to verify your identity or provide additional information before we let you access or update your personal information. We will try to update and access your information for free, but if it would require a disproportionate effort on our part, we may charge a fee. We will of course disclose the fee before we comply with your request.
- Account Deletion. While we hope you'll remain a lifelong Creator, if for some reason you ever want to delete your account, please go to your settings and do so. If you ask to delete your account, you will have up to 30 days to restore your account before we delete your information from our servers. During this period of time, your account will not be visible to other Creators.
- Advertising Preferences. Most of our application and site consists of ads. If you are against viewing branded content or the campaigns, please stop using our service.
Analytics and Advertising Services Provided by Others
Creators Outside the United States
Although we welcome Creators from all over the world, keep in mind that no matter where you live or where you happen to use our services, your information may be shared within the Bee Technologies Inc. family of companies. This means that we may collect your personal information from, transfer it to, and store and process it in the United States and other countries outside of where you live.
Our services are not intended for—and we don't direct them to—anyone under 18. And that's why we do not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under 18. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from someone under the age of 18 without parental consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from or about someone under 18, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Contact Us About A Deceased User
In the event of the death of a Creator, please contact us. We will usually conduct our communication via email; should we require any other information, we will contact you at the email address you have provided in your request.